Search Here

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Sundowns Knocked Out Of CAF CL Following Defeat By Wydad Casablanca

Wydad Casablanca overcame Mamelodi Sundowns 1-0 in the 2017 CAF Champions League quarterfinal second-leg match at the Stade Prince Moulay Abdallah on Saturday night.

Sundowns - Teelamford
The Moroccan giants went on to defeat the South African giants 3-2 on penalties following a 1-1 draw on aggregate and they advanced to the semifinals.
The Brazilians went into the game leading on aggregate having defeated the King of Titles 1-0 in the first-leg encounter.
The Kings of Titles dominated the match from the start as they searched for an early goal and they nearly scored 11 minutes into the game.
The Sundowns defence gave Guillaume Nicaise Doa a chance to shoot, but he was brilliantly denied by goalkeeper Denis Onyango.
Pressure was mounting on the Brazilians' defence and Tiyani Mabunda put his body on the line in the 22nd minute.
Wydad midfielder Abdellatif Noussir unleashed a powerful low shot from the right hand side and his effort was blocked by Mabunda.
However, the Kings of Titles' pressure finally paid off four minutes later after the Brazilians were caught napping.
An unmarked Salah Eddine Saidi headed home Mohammed Ounajem's cross in the blind spot - making it 1-0 to Wydad.
With the halftime break fast approaching, Tebogo Langerman tried to beat Wydad keeper Zouhair Laaroubi from range.
But the Sundowns fullback's effort sailed over into the stands and the score was 1-0 to Wydad at halftime.
Hlompho Kekana had a chance to level matters for Sundowns six minutes into the second half, but the midfielder fired inches wide of the target.
The Brazilians, who were defending champions, were struggling to penetrate the Kings of Titles defence which was led by Amine Atouchi.
Pitso Mosimane, the Sundowns coach, decided to introduce Yannick Zakri in the 73rd minute as the visitors searched for the equalising goal.
However, the Ivorian winger was tightly marked by the Wydad defence with time running out on the clock.
The last chance of the game went to Sundowns, but Kekana was denied by Laaroubi from a free-kick which was in a promising area.
Wydad won the match 1-0 on the night, but the tie ended in a 1-1 stalemate on aggregate and a penalty shootout followed.
Zakri, Percy Tau, and Bangaly Soumahoro all missed their spot-kicks and Wydad won 3-2 on penalties - booking a place in the semifinals where they will face Algerian side USM Alger.
Wydad (1) 1 (Saidi 11')
Sundowns (0)
Wydad Casablanca: Laaroubi, Rabeh, Noussir, Atouchi, Saidi, Nakach, Gaddarine, Bencharki, Doa (El Karti 76'), Ounnajem, El Haddad (Khadrouf 84').
Mamelodi Sundowns: Onyango, Langerman, Arendse (Soumahoro 89'), Madisha, Mabunda, Kekana, Manyisa, Zwane (Lebese 84'), Morena, Tau, Billiat (Zakri 73').

No comments:

Post a Comment